Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Two White-throated Sparrows


We used to have a White-throated Sparrow join the Golden-crowned Sparrows every winter, but last year it did not return. This year, however, one showed up on Oct. 23 and today, Oct. 24, another.  At least, I think that's what happened. Yesterday's bird was a white-stripe variety while today's bird is tan-stripe. I think. But I attempted photos of both today and both birds I got photos of look like white-stripe. To add to the confusion, the photo I took yesterday has another bird out of focus to the right that looks like a white-stripe white-throated sparrow. Might I have 3 white-throated sparrows and not yet a photo of the tan-stripe version? It's a mystery...

Yesterday's photo...






And another photo from yesterday with a mystery bird at the right...



Mystery bird zoomed in (and out of focus)...


White-throated Sparrow photo taken today that looks like a white stripe although I had first seen a definite tan stripe and assumed that's what I was taking a photo of. Maybe this is a tan stripe brightened by the sun? I'll try again tomorrow, maybe, if I don't get rained out. Our unseasonably dry weather is supposed to end.



Today's white-striped White-throated Sparrow


And here it (or one, at least) is from the back...


I also took photos of the other birds in front of the barn, as I sat in a chair watching for half an hour. One Mourning Dove was quite compatible with the California Quail, who seem quite compatible with everybody.


Papa Quail is quite handsome


Steller's Jay

Spotted Towhee

American Robin

Red-shafted Flicker

European Starlings atop a hybrid poplar

Scrub Jay now called California Scrub Jay or something
I missed getting photos of the fast disappearing Downy Woodpecker and Dark-eyed Junco. And never saw the talking Bewick's Wren, Black-capped Chickadees or Red-breasted Nuthatch.

No comments:

Post a Comment