Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Friday, November 13, 2015

Anna's Hummingbird... Farm Bird #151

Although Anna's Hummingbirds are common both summer and winter in areas east of us, we have never had one here that I've seen. But a few weeks ago, Johnny saw a hummer hovering outside the back door. I caught a glimpse of it perched on a weed before it flew off and disappeared. I quickly filled my long empty hummingbird feeders, since our Rufous hummers are only here in the summer. But nothing came to drink until today... Friday the 13th (always my lucky day).

I had put a feeder outside my milk room window so I could watch for hummers there. The other feeders are outside the kitchen window but I'm in the barn more often than in the kitchen. This morning while doing the morning milking, I caught a glimpse of a hummingbird feeding from that feeder. I had my camera with me so took photos through the milk room window.

Thanks to the several birders more knowledgeable than I about winter Anna's who, after viewing the photos, let me know that this is, indeed, an Anna's Hummingbird. Floyd Shrock said: "No doubt in my mind, Linda, that you have an Anna's there. I notice the greenish on the flanks and lower abdomen, and the beginnings of a dark gorget. I'm guessing it's an immature male..."

Click on the photo for larger images.





1 comment:

  1. Mark said he saw one a week or so back at the farm, unusual for there as well. I get them all the time in Dallas, right through the winter.

    ReplyDelete