Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Shorebirds at Bob Straub Park Part 2


I am confused about these... not even sure they are all the same groups. The scaly backs and dark caps make me think Semipalmated. ?? Wrong again. Paul Sullivan wrote:
I think this large group of birds are Western Sandpipers.  They have dark leg, a white throat and foreneck, and their bills are long, with a slight droop.  However the birds in the background in photos 8-9 are Sanderlings.  They have a black mark at the bend of the wing showing against a white breast and neck, and they are running up the beach away from the waves.


I did realize the birds in the back were Sanderlings but did not state that. I love Paul's reasons. But I could not detect a droop in the bills of the birds in front. Now that I look harder, I can.













1 comment:

  1. Agree with Paul - Western. You can see quite a bit of rufous on the scapulars of several of the birds. Semipalmated Sandpiper usually shows no rufous, or very little. Also, large flocks of SESAs are almost entirely unknown in OR; we usually get one or two mixed in with the Westerns.

    ReplyDelete