Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Really Blurry Redpolls?? Or???

Today, Feb. 21, I walked through our woods in the sunshine. I heard a flock of very chatty little birds very high in the alders above me. I finally saw them and took very bad, very distant photos. The birds were preening at the time I took the photos. And talking nonstop. At first I had thought they were Pine Siskins since the Siskins have been at my sunflower feeders en masse. But there were no upward ssss as I am used to with flock of Siskins. Just non-stop rapid high single notes. I managed to get my binocs on one and thought I saw a red cap, definitely saw a white front bordered with stripes, so Redpoll jumped into my head although I have never seen Redpolls on our southwest Yamhill County farm. Please help! (First and last photos are the same shot with last one lightened.)






Barb Millikan ran them through photoshop...




2 comments:

  1. Linda, I think these are Siskins. I think I see a bit of yellow in the wing of the left-hand bird in photo 1 and the right-hand bird in photo 4. I see a pale patch on the bottom of the tail in photo 3, which fits Siskin and not Redpoll. The breasts look streaky. The bills I can see are skinny.
    Paul Sullivan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Paul. I think you're right. I noticed the white patch on the bottom of the tail on several birds but did not know what that fits. And the bills did look more thin and pointed, not yellow like Redpolls. But I kept thinking I saw red on some heads. I think it was wishful thinking!

      Delete