Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Thursday, October 24, 2013

From Baskett Slough to Sheridan

As usual, my trip to the feed store took a few detours... Most of the photos did not come out great, but, oh well. I like the cormorant. Friend Dawn rode with me and hopefully got better photos.

From Baskett Slough...

Adult Bald Eagle
Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk



to Livermore Road... 

Ring-necked Pheasant without the ring. I've read that cocks don't develop the white ring until they are 18 weeks old

And up Tucker Rd. ...


Female Kingfisher
We saw flocks of Pipits popping up and down out of a plowed field on Livermore, but this Pipit was all by itself on a power line along Tucker Rd.

American Pipit

At the slough on Ballston Rd. as you head toward the Sheridan Fishing Pond (and sewage ponds), we saw four Snipe. They were well camouflaged.


Common Snipe


Same bird as above, but zoomed in closer



Common Snipe above and below the water

Also above and below water was this Double-crested (double headed?) Cormorant

Double-crested Cormorant

 In the bushes between the fishing pond and the sewage ponds were Red-winged Blackbirds among other (not photographed) birds. In the ponds were gazillions of Ruddy Ducks (mostly sleeping) and Northern Shovelers (mostly with their heads under water),  skittish Ring-necked Ducks and lots of others too far for pictures (although I tried).

Red-winged Blackbird
I missed photos of Western Meadowlarks on Livermore Rd. They ducked down every time I finally had them in the viewfinder. Dawn did better. But I was sorry I couldn't find her a Horned Lark along Livermore where I usually see them. Maybe next time... I'll need feed again in another couple of weeks...




No comments:

Post a Comment