Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Juvenile Cooper's Hawk

Fluffed up and patiently waiting for the quail/sparrows/towhees/jays/doves to venture into view again in front of the barn, where I had thrown seed for them... (I couldn't decide which photo to use...)


Friend Dawn Villaescusa had been watching the Cooper's in front of our barn before I joined her. She got some awesome photos of the hawk from the back before he turned around. I stole one of them. Thanks, Dawn!


The next morning this was the scene that greeted me when I tossed grain out for the birds again.



In spite of the apparent bluish cast to the feather below (an artifact of lighting, I guess), it was actually gray, black and white. This Fish & Wildlife Service web site identified it as a Mourning Dove feather.  http://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/feather.php?Bird=MODO_tail_imm




We now have one fewer Mourning Doves in the neighborhood. And a juvenile Cooper's Hawk with a full belly, at least on that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment