Fink Family Farm Bird List

Fink Family Farm Bird List

The only list I faithfully keep is a list of all the birds seen on our farm since we moved here in 1977. I thought it would be fun to add p...

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Count Day!

Almost the first bird I saw this morning of Count Day was the elusive Green Heron! It flew out from our little creek, across the field, and out of sight. I was so excited to see it, I forgot to try to get a photo.

I didn't take many photos today since I was trying to count all the birds I saw, not just sit around and snap photos. I did get some easy ones like the starlings that took over the big snag, looking colorful in their fall garb.


The Red-breasted Nuthatches I've been hearing constantly for weeks were happy to pose for photos, although far above. They seem to be finding lots to eat in our cone-heavy trees.


This one had taken a seed (or something) to a dead tree nearby and hammered it.


Since I keep track of the Dipper nests on a six mile stretch of Agency Creek, starting with our place, Dippers are special to me. I was happy to find a Dipper on our creek for the migration count. These photos of a different Dipper were taken upstream a few miles.




At the end of a long day birding our farm and nearby areas, I checked on the Barn Owl youngsters in our barn loft nest. One peeked out at me as I climbed the ladder into the loft. It has three fuzzy companions that I could see when I climbed up the viewing ladder.


It has been fun trying to document the highlights of migration count week on our farm in photos.

Maybe next year, I'll manage to get a photo of that elusive Green Heron.

No comments:

Post a Comment